Sunday, November 9, 2008

Recipe: Sloppy Rice

It's a weird name for this dish but since I used sloppy joe mix, I thought it was fitting. :) This dish has a smokey, hearty taste to it. You could easily substitute the rice with pasta or another starch. I just happened to have leftover rice.

Ingredients:
1/2 an eggplant
1/2 a zucchini
1/2 an onion
handful of mushrooms
about 2 cups of rice [I used leftover rice]
sloppy joe mix
can of tomato sauce [you're supposed to use 2 but I only had 1 on-hand :s]
2 T. garlic margarine [I mince garlic and mash it with margarine. I make it prior and refrigerate it.]
salt&pepper to taste
extra virgin olive oil


Heat pan to medium heat. Throw all the vegetables in a big pan and fry it up! Add garlic marg., salt and pepper. [tip: adding seasoning after cooking the vegetables for a little bit helps it absorb the flavor better]


Turn up the heat to medium high. Add the rice. This part reminds me of fried rice. :)


Add sloppy joe mix and tomato sauce. Cook it all together until it looks good. Add salt and pepper as needed. Eat!

*I couldn't help but notice that it would make an awesome soup. Since I was already using a pan, I opted not to. But you could easily cook this in a pot and add vegetable broth and maybe some legumes.

No comments: