Saturday, February 2, 2008

Recipe: Straight-to-the-point-no-b.s. Broccoli

Well, that's what my roommate called it when he had some. Haha! I thought this was how everyone made their broccoli, but apparently not. So, I'm sharing this with all of you! This is how my family eats broccoli! It's so tender and so delicious, I wouldn't eat it any other way. P:

Ingredients:
Broccoli [as much as you like!]

Sauce Ingredients:
2 T. Mayo
1 t. Shoyu [Soy Sauce]

First thing's first, you need to prep your broccoli. Tell it sweet nothings in it's ear... oh wait sorry, I've got valentine's on the brain (>_<`).


How to prep broccoli: Stand the broccoli with the stem side up and cut down with a small knife to get the "branches" of the broccoli.


Now skin the broccoli. [you heard me.] It's sort of like widdling wood. Try to get as close to the skin as possible so you don't end up with butchered broccoli :(. [It takes a little while to get it. I've been doing it since little kid time :P] Don't forget to skin the giant middle part [aka. trunk] too!


Next, chop them up into bite size pieces like this! Add a little water for steaming. [I call this amount, a 'sploosh'] In technical terms, I'd say about 1/4 cup of water. You don't want to add too much water since the water takes away the awesome nutrients of broccoli. Cover with plastic wrap and nuke it in the microwave for 1 min. 30 sec.

~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~

Next the sauce! This is a must to add flavor to your broccoli. It's not necessarily the most healthy sauce but it's really good i swear! [got me to eat my broccoli as a kid ;)]


In a small container mix about 2 T. mayo and 1 t. shoyu [soy sauce].


The color should look like this. Don't make it too dark or else it gets too salty. Too light and it's not enough flavor.

Take out your broccoli from the microwave and drain some water out. [It's not a big deal] Then dip your broccoli into the sauce like it's salsa and chips! mmmm P: So good and so bad at the same time haha!

Read about broccoli nutrition facts here: Broccoli

No comments: