Sunday, January 27, 2008

Recipe: Salmon Croquette & Recipe: Onigiri


I'm going hiking tomorrow and cooked a lunch for it. (From left; Salmon Croquette, under it is Tonkatsu Sauce. On Right; Onigiri. Center of onigiri; steamed cabbage, seaweed and fishcake.) This recipe is a little more prep but it's still cheap and oh so tasty!

Recipe: Salmon Croquette
Croquette Ingredients:
1 can salmon
3 potatoes, diced (i leave the skin on but you can peel it)
2 T. onion mix or real onions
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
(This amount makes about 15 patties. Double the recipe for a bigger group to feed!)

Batter Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 cup panko
1/2 cup flour

Boil potatoes until cooked. Put in a large bowl and mash really good. (I use the underside of a cup) Add The rest of croquette ingredients into mixture and mix well.
Shape mixture into small patty shapes, about the size of a squished golf ball.


Should look something like this.

Next, Prepare your batter!
In 3 containers, put flour in 1 container, 1 beaten egg in 2nd container, and panko in the 3rd. (My containers are re-used tofu containers :P)


Looks sort of like this. (I didn't beat my egg yet :P)

Now we're ready to cook!
In a pan, add some oil and turn the heat to a little above medium. Put your patty in the flour and lightly coat. Next, put it in the egg to coat, and lastly put it in the panko. Shake the container to evenly coat the patty with panko. Cook patty on both sides until golden brown. (Add more oil as needed. Sometimes you run low on batter, so restock as you need.) Place cooked patties on a napkin covered plate to soak up excess oil. And you're done! It's delicious with tonkatsu sauce.


Here they are cooked next to my onigiri that goes with it. mmm.. P: Here's that recipe.

Recipe: Onigiri
2 cups Cooked rice
2 T. rice vinegar
2 T. sugar
1 T. salt
2 T. furikake (I use my favorite, nori!)

Mix ingredients in a big bowl. Shape rice. (In this one, I've shaped them into cylinders using a sushi rice mold.) Stick a roasted nori on the outside. Yummy! P: See , that wasn't so hard to make ;).


My boyfriend kept me company nearby playing wow.


I also cleaned the kitchen after all that too. Gee, I was full of energy!


Ah yes, I also walked the dog earlier.


Here was the sunset. So tranquil.

No comments: